24 July 2009

OAMC - Chicken Recipes

Ok so I have had several people ask me about how to cook all of your family's dinners for one month in one day. I AM NOT an expert. I do what works for my family. It will be different for everyone. We love leftovers and don't mind eating the same thing 3 days in a row. You can begin my Googling "OAMC" that stands for Once A Month Cooking. Then just start with one week and work your way up to one month. I will start posting some of my favorite freezer recipes. These are all ones that I have tried out multiple times (freezing and eating). I don't have picky eaters so even my 2 year old eats this stuff. If you do have picky eaters, tell them to get over it and send them to bed hungry - they will eat eventually.

Easy Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup picante sauce or salsa
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I do 1 cup rice and 1 cup chicken)
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6 flour tortillas
1 tomato, chopped
1 green onion, sliced

Stir the soup, sour cream, picante sauce and chili powder in bowl. (To freeze - at this point put in a quart bag and freeze. When ready to eat, thaw and continue.) Stir 1 cup picante sauce mixture, chicken and cheese in a large bowl. Divide the chicken mixture among the tortillas. Roll up the tortillas and place them seam side up in a 11x8" shallow baking dish. Pour the remaining picante sauce mixture over the filled tortillas. Cover the baking dish. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and bubbling. Top with tomato and onion.

Chicken Pot Pie
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/3 flour
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
10 ounces frozen vegetables, thawed and drained
1-2 cups cut cooked chicken
double pie crust

Melt butter in a 2 quart sauce pot. Saute onions. Wisk in flour. Cook until bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Return to heat and heat to boiling. Stir in vegetables and chicken. (To freeze - at this point put chicken mixture into a gallon sized bag and freeze. When ready to eat, thaw and continue.) Roll half of the pie crust to fit ungreased 9x9x2 pan. Pour chicken mixture into crust lined pan. Roll other half to fit over the top. Turn crust under and crimp edges. Bake at 425 for 35 minutes or until golden brown.

Tetrazzini
12 oz noodles, cooked and drained
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
3 cups shredded cheese
4 cups diced chicken
2 teaspoons parsley

Saute onion and garlic in butter, Add soup, broth and 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Cook until smooth. Add chicken and noodles. (To freeze - at this point scoop into a gallon sized bag and freeze. When ready to eat thaw and continue.) Turn into baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes at 350. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley. Bake until melted.

1 comments:

Jessica said...

I really need to do this. I am one of those who thinks about dinner as soon as the kids are saying they are hungry. I also go through sudden bursts of energy, this is when I need to be preparing my meals. Thanks for the recipes!